Monday, June 11, 2007

keep your eyes on the ball

I would like you all to know that you are lucky I am still alive. That is right. I have had a very near death experience. I will tell you all about it.

Saturday I went to my first baseball game in ages. For the record, I like baseball as a spectator sport. It gives you something to occupy your attention and provide conversation without being so demanding that you can't enjoy spending time with the people you came with.

I went with some people from my new ward (including a very cute guy, cross your fingers on that one) and we were having a nice time. It is amazing just how many foul balls go into the stands. I don't think I'd have guessed so many. It certainly adds to the excitement factor here and there. So, I was sitting back, taking in the game along with some burgeoning friendships when a foul ball was hit. No biggy. There it goes, higher and higher. Hm, looks like it's gonna come to our side instead of the other this time. Lower and lower. Wow, that's coming pretty close to where we are sitting. Closer and closer. Hm, is that ball falling right toward me? Could it possibly? ACK! IT'S GONNA HIT ME! And I ducked. Just in time for the ball to whizz passed me into the row behind where it bounced and then rested beneath my seat.

I'm pretty sure that that ball wanted to be mine and willed itself directly to me. It was pretty surreal, though, watching that thing head straight at my face. I'm pretty sure I'd have been clocked between the eyes if I hadn't moved. I remember how the shadowing on the white ball looked as it approached me. As it is, no harm done, I made an impression on some new friends (one girl asked why I didn't catch it, have you ever caught a baseball with your bare hands? ouch) and added a story to my growing collection. Fate is most definitely looking out for me.

1 comment:

vantastic said...

woah!! crazy. next time you gotta bring your mitt and catch those fly balls. love you addy.