Friday, June 15, 2007

i say, burn the 5-year plan

I know, it sounds like heresy to some of you, but this last weekend some of us tried it and I've been thinking about it ever since. You see, it was a bunch of women sitting around talking and one asked another about her 5-year plan. She that was asked automatically took on a serious air and sort of hesitated before starting. The moment struck me with a wonderful idea that I quickly vocalized. Instead of 5-year plans, let's share our 5-year fantasies! That one word change worked a miracle. All of a sudden everyone was eager to share and excited about the future. It released practical restraints and allowed us all to imagine as possible all the things we really want. And it wasn't anything crazy like millions of dollars or a husband who looks like Matthew McConaughey and acts like the Dali Lama, it was normal things, but that we talk ourselves out of when we get to practical. What a shame.

So, here's my challenge. Burn the 5-year plan and start thinking in terms of your %-year fantasy...it is liberating. :)

No comments: