
I figured out why I don't want to watch reality shows anymore. Yes, I must admit that I have been caught, this year, watching some of those dopey dating shows. I don't know how it happens. I watch half an episode and all of a sudden I feel like I know these people, know how they feel, know what would be best for them and must know if they will heed my advise (not that I speak it out loud to the screen or anything).
So I follow the show for a few weeks, or how ever long it takes, and in the end am either frustrated with the dater's choice, or thrilled to see that they were as wise as I was hoping they were. And that, my friends, would be the end of the story if this were a novel or movie or any kind of fictional romance. But that's the problem, these people really do exist, and despite the fact that I've never met them and they have no idea who I am, knowing whom they have chosen is not enough. I now feel the need to know if they actually do get married, or if they break up, how much did the show's editing mess with the truth, if they ever have kids, how their family feels about it...in other words, I feel like they are my friends or family and so I want details when they totally are not and I can never get them! Frustration!
So there is a conflict between knowing it's none of my business, but still feeling entitled to the info since they put themselves on TV in the first place, and yet never being satisfied with what follow up information I can find, since you know it's probably all been pieced together from rumors and half truths. Not to meantion that only like one couple on all those seasons has even made it to the altar! So not cool.
I think it's my empathy working against me. So, since I do not want to follow all these people's lives for the rest of mine, I think I will give up the genre altogether...or if I can't at least I have the consolation that basically anything is better than TV drama. Ick.
6 comments:
I am glad you have finally decided to let that addiction go. I remember when I did. It was hard at first, but if you need help I am here for you...just keep resisting...cold turkey is the best way to go.
Oh man, it is so good to know that there are others who have been through what I am going through. Thank you so much for your support. (sniff)
haha! I love you two sisters. You are so cute with your little reality tv addictions.
Well, I might as well comment and keep the chain of love going. Doesn't V read these and comment? Someone needs to get on her!
Come to think of it, I don't know if she does. Maybe she feels to busy or something.
someone needs to get on Jamie for never commenting on my blog. Does she read my blog??
Post a Comment