This morning I went into the office and got my cup and made my way to the water cooler, as I often do. I placed my cup beneath and pushed the cold water button until my cup was almost full. As I released the button a big bubble released and floated through the water in the tank to the top. It reminded me of how, when I was a kid, I would wonder just what combination of water volume extracted and speed of button pressing was needed to release bubbles. I must have liked the sound and sight of those big bubbles in the tank cause I remember sitting with a glass and pushing the button...short, long, again, just trying to figure out how to make it go.
I love thinking about how I thought of things as a kid. They don't really make sense now, or else I realize how off they were, but it's cool to me. I like knowing that I wondered and tried to figure things out. It's like I'm proud of my younger self for being inquisitive.
Like the times I remember watching the sun streaming in a big window so that you can see all the dust floating around in the air. I was fascinated to see little things suspended like that, seemingly only in the sunlight, and sometimes not so little. There were times I would, ever so carefully, try to capture a bigger dust glob in my hand, but when I opened my hand it would never be there. I realize now that I may have caught it but lighting would make it hard to see. Knowing that doesn't make me feel silly for trying, though, or for thinking the things I did. That's all part of learning and growing. It's gotta start somewhere and my kid thoughts served me well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment