Wednesday, July 29, 2009

key?

So, I am thinking that maybe I am a binge blogger. I think of a bunch to write and blog a ton and then get it out of my system and forget about it for a while. Ha! I'll try to regulate that.

*Quick update: my eyebrows are getting more full and luscious as I continue to leave them alone. I have had to have moments of recommitment, but it is all worth it.*

Now to the blog at hand. About four days ago I opened my trunk. No big deal. I closed my trunk. Apparently a big deal as it banged and bounced right back up. I tried a couple more times before starting to get upset. I slammed it hard, I pushed it soft, my husband helped me try, we dented the surface slightly (dang it), we got out tools and tried to see into the catch mechanism but could only get so far...at length we gave up. My sweet hubbie went to the store for bungee cords, we strapped it shut and I've been resisting the clench in my chest that happens every time I drive over a bump and hear my poor trunk lid bang.

Finally, yesterday -- after the weekend when no mechanic in their right mind works and after Monday when my preferred mechanic was too busy to see me -- I took my dear Luka in (that is the name of my car, in case you were unaware). Scott (the mechanic) poked around and pulled and took the inside cover out of the trunk lid and had me pull the cable release by the driver seat while he pulled on the cable in the back, and we decided the cable is a little gummy inside somewhere and just got good and stuck. He disconnected the cable while we decided what more to do. It was after work so I was hungry and he was probably ready to go in (he works out of a shop in his back yard) so I was trying to think of how we could shorten things. I came up with the plan of calling it quits for now. I would let him look into it more when I brought it back to service in a month or two.

"In the meantime," I asked him, "could we just leave it disconnected? I mean, the button on my key ring still works to open the trunk, right?"

We tested it and verified that, indeed, the mechanisms that work from the button and the cable are independent. Good. This led me to thinking what might happen if for some reason my button stopped working.

"As long as your batteries (meaning the one in my car and the one in my key-ring button) work it should be fine." He told me.

I looked down at my key-ring and pondered the battery and how much time it would take to replace should it need replacing since, as the consummate planner, I was already thinking ahead to such an eventuality.

"What if this battery dies?" I ask innocently enough.
Wait a beat...like he did.

"You could always use the key."

Oh my, I totally started to laugh, and he, good-natured man that he is, laughed along. The key? No duh! And yet, when is the last time I used a key in a trunk? I don't think I've ever used a key to open Luka's trunk in our entire life together. In fact, earlier, when Scott had me pull out my key so he could test the trunk latch with it, I didn't get what he wanted me to do with it. And when I did put it in the keyhole it felt so foreign. So, in my defense, it is understandable that using the key wasn't the first thing to pop into my mind...but it did make me feel quite spoiled. At least I'm not like the girl I heard of in college who, when she didn't have a microwave in her apartment, couldn't figure out how to boil water. I will have you all know that I know perfectly well that to boil water when there is no microwave around you simply take in to your neighbor's house and use theirs.

1 comment:

Jamela said...

hee hee...That is so true! I don't even know if my trunk has a key place. I'll have to look! :)