Tuesday, May 19, 2009

memories

I was thinking about my honeymoon last night, or rather, something reminded me of it. But we'll get to that.

I was thinking about how one day Ty and I found ourselves at Sunset Beach at what happened to be sunset. It was incredibly picturesque with a few surfers out on the water, glorious waves crashing, and just enough clouds to sprinkle a little bit and make the horizon that much more beautiful. I'll tell you what, though, where we were the beach did not have little rippling wavelets. It had great crashing waves and a steep enough shore to make undertow a definite possibility. But we were in Hawaii, on a beach, and were running out of days, so we decided to swim (Ok, Ty decided and I somewhat grudgingly followed. It was raining after all.). Here's what happened. The boisterous waves were a little scary looking but my burly brave husband dove in nonetheless, and dove at a very inopportune time. He totally got pummeled by a wave. I mean, seriously hammered. It took him a few more swells before he was reoriented and I was relieved I wouldn't have to call on my life guarding experience and pull him out. It was really quite the adventure.

Turns out that every wave on that tummultuous beach was loaded with sand and that night Ty could feel he had sand in his ear and tried and tried to get it out, but there is really only so much you can do. I think we got a few grains out. Oh, and they are really really big grains too. About four times in the intervening months Ty has turned to me and said, "Look at what just came out of my ear!" and he has another huge grain on the tip of his little finger. Every time this happens I think it will be the last time. I mean, we've been home for a good six months!

Well, the other day Ty got sick. So sad, but so nice that I can be there to take care of him. We've decided that that is another definite bonus to being married. No more wondering if you have the strength to get out of bed and visit the doctor or make yourself some food or tea. We get to have someone there to help and keep us company! So great. But anyway. Ty was sick enough that we decided to go to a doctor. We went last night and after sending a nose swab to check for the flu, the doctor was doing some other routine checks and happened to look inside Ty's right ear.

"Do you put things in your ear?"
Out comes the story of Sunset Beach, after which the doctor gets a little tool and proceeds to extract approximately 13 big grains of sand from Tyrone's ear canal. Can you believe it! And she didn't even take them all out since some were so close to his ear drum that she didn't want to risk it. Oh man, we and she and the intern who was there had a pretty good laugh over that. What a souvenir to bring home from Hawaii. They certainly didn't check for that at customs.

This is about how much sand got hammered into Ty's ear that day. :)

2 comments:

Jamela said...

Wow, crazy 6 mo later. We had a good little laugh about that too. :)

Aaron said...

haha! that is so funny!