Wednesday, March 18, 2009

going to bed

It is interesting the things you learn while being married. Particularly things about preference. The simple fact is that the way we do most things really has very little to no reference to whether that way is better or faster or whatever than any other way, we just do it like that because we like to...it is our preference. And it's amazing how many things don't really make any logical sense, you just like it like that.

For example, my husband and I have found that I like small cups, but big spoons while he likes big cups and small spoons. He gets hot more easily than me, yet I tend to take colder showers (he can turn it hot enough to scald a small child). I am somewhat picky about the water I drink and can taste differences, while he rarely gives it a second thought. I look forward to going to bed and he dreads it.

This brings me to another thought. It fascinates me how some people think of sleep as a waste of time. Some time ago I noticed this and started asking people, "If you had to give up either eating or sleeping, which would you choose." (Feel free to comment and tell me your answer, I'd love to hear.) I am surprised whenever anyone says sleep cause I would pick food hands down. In follow up questions it seems to be almost unanimous that people who would give up sleep love the idea of having that much more time to do things or get things done. However, that is just what I love about sleep! It is eight hours in everyday when no one can bug you about getting anything done, eight full hours of non-accountability and even commendable idleness. Fantastic! Why on earth would you want to give that up?

Maybe I can understand the sentiment a little, cause one reason I sometimes wish I didn't have to eat is because I could use that time doing other things. To me, eating is a waste of time...and those are hours I am accountable for and I actually need to be getting things done. I mean, I enjoy food by and large, it's just that I think eating should be a leisure activity, like reading or snowshoeing. It doesn't have to be done everyday or even on a schedule, but just when it's convenient and you want to. I could totally go for an arrangement like that. Yeah, that's it, I've decided. If I ever make a world, eating will be a leisure activity...and I'll still look forward to going to bed.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

I am with you. I love sleeping. I look forward to it because I love my dreams and always enjoy seeing what my mind creates for me. I love the freedom of flying and the like. I do, however, think that the only reason I would choose to go without food instead of sleep is because I know I wont go without food or sleep.