So, we went and saw MC Hammer! If nothing else, I love saying that. My sister, some of her friends, my husband and I went to the concert at a little after 8. The first band on was a local band of pretty young people doing an 80's rock thing. I love their name, "Love You Long Time." They were fun.
Then there was about two hours of down time while Vanilla Ice's crew decked the stage out in all kinds of death or wacko paraphernalia. Seriously Ice, I think you could have been just as well received without the Grim Reaper in red. Not that it was totally wasted time. They played music throughout and I got tired trying to keep my stomach engaged so that my back wouldn't be sore the next day (I'm happy to report that it wasn't). I wasn't too surprised that I didn't like his stuff, Vanilla Ice was never my cup of tea. He seemed to have a good time, though, and lots of people were screaming for him, and I'm happy that he's been able to kick his drug habit and the only beverages on stage appeared to be bottled water. Then, he was performing in Orem, UT...he could just have a well-informed manager. My husband and I spent most of his set resting up and re-hydrating in preparation for Hammer (except, of course, for during "Ice Ice Baby").
Then MC Hammer took about 20 minutes to set up. More like un-set up, since really he didn't have a lot of stage accouterments...or any, they basically took down everything that had been put up by Ice which left a whole lot of dance space...ooooooh yeah.
Just a side note: I find that some people are unimpressed when an entertainment has minimal props. Maybe it's that I grew up in Vegas where every show is engorged with embellishments that has taught me to be jaded when it comes to stage decoration, or perhaps I have more refined taste, either way I tend to really like shows or plays or whatever that don't have tons of props. I think it creates focus on the performers and brings out their performance in a way that is typically pleasing. But that's just me.
Then Hammer and company danced their way through a whole fun set of mostly old hits and a few recent things. I'm not gonna lie, I was jumping up and down and doing the hand motions to "2 Legit 2 Quit" right along with the best of them. I love dancing! And I really did dance to MC Hammer a lot back in the day. And it's been sooooooo long since I have really gotten to do it, so I was all over the place and had a great old time pointing out to all the company any dance moves that were still used from his original videos. And I was thrilled to see all his company were FULLY clothed. Hallelujah!
The only thing that wasn't all that great was the down time between numbers, but I wouldn't blame the performers for just needing a second or two to rest in between each song. Even the down time ended up being kind of fun, though, when Hammer would start into some intro that would kind of hint at what the next song was going to be. Of course "You Got to Pray" was the easiest to guess.
My only regret is that he didn't sing "Have You Seen Her." I loved that one, but it is all slow and romantic and this was not a slow and romantic concert.
In the end I had a really great time and am glad I went. We drove home tired and were happy to get to bed...and I think I danced to Hammer all night in my dreams.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That was the best birthday ever!! Thanks for coming Adrian!! I love you, long time!!
Post a Comment