Sunday, March 30, 2008

buckwheat

So, today I made pancakes all on my own for what I think was the first time in my life. Funny huh? That seems like such a normal thing to make. Even single guys who couldn't boil water somehow know how to whip up a batch of pancakes. Nonetheless, this was my first. And there are a couple good reasons why...well, maybe just one. I don't really like pancakes. I never have. I don't recall ever hearing that we were having pancakes and looking forward to it, it was more of a drudgery to be endured (yet I always loved waffles...hm). That is until my mother discovered buckwheat. If you've never had pancakes with some buckwheat substituted for some of the wheat you really ought to try it. I'm sure there are people who won't like it at all, but, surprisingly, I love it! When at home and I know those are on the menu, I actually do perk up and look forward to it.

So last weekend I was in Vegas and got to stay with my cute brother and his new wife and they made pancakes with a wheat-free gluten-free mix that was really yummie and got me to thinking that maybe I could like pancakes. Thus, before returning to Utah I got some of that mix as well as some buckwheat pancake mix; today at church I invited a friend over; and tonight I made pancakes for my first time ever. I put a ton of blueberries in that I'd purchase especially for the occasion, cooked them up, and voila! They were irregularly shaped, but very yummy.

Those pancakes with a little scrambled eggs and a sweet, fresh orange made a fabulous Sunday supper that I am looking forward to repeating in the future. So here's to learning something new, and trying it!

P.S. I realize it's kind of funny that I would like waffles but not pancakes, and I've thought about it and think it must be something to do with texture. Waffles are crisper, and buckwheat pancakes have a kind of gritty texture, as do cornmeal pancakes from Ihop that I also recently discovered that I love. They taste a lot like corn bread (which is one of my favorites) and are super yummy. So all these things are more grainy-like, I guess, than usual pancakes...and it would seem that I like that alot.

4 comments:

Jamela said...

Yum, it makes me want to try those. I think I need to go to IHOP too! Also I never commented on the one about armpit muscles, but I love that story. I keep telling it to people because it is so funny. Love you.

tic tacs and tech decks said...

I think also that regular pancakes are so heavy that after you have eaten one your stomach feels like you consumed a small rock quarry. and I mean, there are pretty colors in those rocks, but I would just rather not eat them. You know?

dolly d. said...

I absolutely know what you mean. Afterall, you can't see them once they are in your stomach anyway. :)
And yes, Jamela, you simply must try them.

vantastic said...

i don't like pancakes either...