
So, I have a question. Why is it ok for kids to seek comfort from things like teddy bears, but not for adults? I would submit that adults sometimes need emotional support, and that it could easily be supplied by some of the simple means employed by children, but for some reason we, as a society, decide that it's not a "grown up" way of behaving, so we ignore the need and feel miserable. For example...
At a certain time last year, I was a couple months out from a very sad (though healthy and needed) breakup and was having a day of near depression where I just wondered if I'd ever get over missing him and if I would ever find peace or stop feeling so alone. It was miserable and I think most of you can identify. Well, some months before that I had won a small (I could wrap his body in my one hand), floppy appendaged teddy bear at a function. I thought he was darling, promptly named him Jimbo, and usually kept him in my room on a shelf. Well, at this time of my total sadness, I decided to throw social decorum out the window...I carried him around with me all day. I didn't hug and cry on his shoulder, I didn't suck my thumb or even show him to anyone. I just left him in my purse or pocket and would reach in and squeeze his fuzzy little body as I was going about my business. I can't tell you how comforting it was to have Jimbo around that day. Some of you may think I'm crazy, but you are the type who help people think that what people think of them is more important than their own peace of mind. And for those of you who remember my childhood days of loving stuffed animals and only smile lightly to yourselves, thank you for knowing I'm not crazy, just a little atypical. Please, let us all embrace the fact that we are all sometimes sad, and there is just something about having something to hold, be it only a cutely contrived mass of cotton and polyester, that can help us get over the rough spots to where life is good again, and Jimbo can spend some more time up on the shelf.
2 comments:
ok Lennie.....ha. PS I have Rosy and I am keeping her hostage in a garbage sack. But don't worry, she has that little Santa Claus to keep her company, because I threw him in with her.....mmmuuuuhahaha!
That is a lie. I have Santa Claus with me in Utah. So HA! Which makes me seriously doubt you have any idea where Rosie is. My only question is why do you hate me? ;)
Post a Comment