Friday, September 21, 2007

getting flowers


So, this Tuesday a boy brought me flowers. Excuse me, I should say a man brought me flowers cause really he is a man; and besides, I've observed that in most cases persons of the male gender would rather be called "men" than "boys," so I'm trying to obtain the habit. But anyway, that's beside the point.

This Tuesday a man brought me flowers. Do you know? this is the first time I've ever received flowers from a guy. Well, ok, once in high school some guys brought me a single rose, but that doesn't count because it was a bunch of guys who brought them to a bunch of girls. Which is sweet, but definitely doesn't count. So when this man showed up at our arranged time with flowers I think I almost didn't know what to do. It was a little surreal. I'll admit that the statement I've told people, "Man, I'm probably gonna marry the first guy who gives me flowers," ran through my head (don't hold me to it, though :). In the end I believe I recovered well enough, thanked him for them then as well as later that night. I mean, I wanted to make sure he knew I appreciated the thought...he even picked them in colors that I'd said I liked the last time we went out. I'm pretty sure it was something of an impromptu purchase. He'd been at a store buying food for us to eat and I'm sure walked by the flowers and thought I might like them. Hm, how cute.

So, it's made me wonder a little. How is it that I've only just now gotten flowers from a guy? Maybe it has something to do with the thought that ran through my head. While I've always said it half in jest, that leaves half of it that is really quite true. What is it about flowers that means a guy is one you might want to marry?...I think it comes down to two things, a truly affectionate nature, and commitment.

First, only a truly, actually, sweetly affectionate guy is cool enough to want to conform to tradition in such a way as to bring flowers to a girl he is liking (I can still call myself a girl, right? I mean, yes, I'm a woman, but I'm in no way affronted if someone happens to call me a girl). Well ok, either that or a guy who is creepy, but shrewd enough to to believe that as the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, so the way to a woman's heart is through lavish gifts. However, we are going to bypass this possibility since those are obviously not the kinds of guys I've been attracting since, as noted above, I have never gotten flowers before. So, of course an affectionate guy, and one that's affectionate about me, is exactly the kind of man I'd want to marry.

Second, giving flowers implies a sort of commitment, and so a committing kind of nature. I mean, sure it's not the I-love-you-like-crazy-baby-never-let-me-go kind of commitment, but it is the you-are-really-cool-and-I-am-confident-enough-in-myself-and-how-I-feel-about-you-right-now-to-spend-money-on-something-that-I'm-pretty-sure-displays-that-I've-been-thinking-of-you kind of commitment. And that is pretty cool, cause you see, not only does it show that they guy likes you, it shows confidence and even hints that he can be committal...who wouldn't want that in a spouse?

Now this leads me to think of guys whom I have dated in the past who didn't ever get me flowers and, you know, they were definitely missing one or both of these qualities. They either really were affectionate and liked me a lot, but totally non-committal, or they were the committing type, but deep down knew they didn't have enough affection for me to make the flowers gesture. Hm, interesting.

So, in the end, I think a guy that will give you flowers has a lot going for him. I'm pretty sure my latest guy does. Now don't anyone get too excited or anything, I still barely know him and am seeing where it'll go, but he's definitely ahead of the game at this point. :)

So there you have it, I have only officially received flowers twice ever. Twice? you say? Yeah, that's right, this is not the only time that I've ever gotten flowers...just the first time from a guy. One time I was pretty sick and my cute cute sister was coming to see me and she brought me flowers. You can see a picture of them at the top of this post. That was seriously so sweet of her and I loved it soooooo much, cause not only is it such a kind thought, but I also just really really really like flowers...what's not to like? they are so super duper pretty.

3 comments:

Jamela said...

Oh wow, that was really fun to read, I don't think I have ever thought that much about the reciept of flowers. You are way too deep for me! :) But I do love flowers and think that is totally nice of the man! Love ya,

Ritch in Love said...

Wow, I was in a trance reading that entry. You have a beautiful way with words and thoughts. I love your honesty. You deserve a field tulips to be given to you on a daily basis! Love you A!

vantastic said...

oh adrian. you took a picture of the flowers. I love you. great blog babe!!!