Oh man oh man, I love fall. Partly because as soon as it starts getting cooler, the Halloween candy starts coming out. And when I see that I can't help but think, "Oh man, it's almost Halloween, that means it's almost Thanksgiving, that means it's almost Christmas! Woo hoo!" Then Christmas music starts playing in my head (and sometimes on my stereo). I start wanting to buy tons of fun new Christmas decorations, and I just feel all warm and fuzzy. Bust out the sweaters, Orem! Santa Claus is comin' to town!
There are definitely people who see things my way, and for them I am so Hoover Dam grateful, but what I don't get is how people can NOT see things this way. How can you seriously NOT start getting excited for Christmas when it starts getting cooler? How can you think I should NOT listen to Christmas music? And why in the crap are some people so dead set on not mentioning the birth of our Savior until they've fully enjoyed their ugly brown and orange turkeys and gourd decorations? I'm sorry, but there is no way I will ever bother with those.
And some people seem to think that by being so excited for Christmas I am not giving Thanksgiving it's just desserts. Let me put this to rest. I love Thanksgiving. It is definitely a wonderful holiday historically, theologically, and familially, but I'm sorry, I will never love the dried leaves and pilgrim "decorations." I think they are dorky and I don't like the color orange in any season (on the trees on a fall day is the only exception). Instead, I would love to put out Christmas decorations early. Have lots of rich greens and reds, or silvers and whites out and making all things festive and lovely. I'll have a "Thankful Jar" for the month of November where my kids can add marbles each day as they think of things to be grateful for, and I'll be grateful everyday for the beauty of the season, for Thanksgiving AND Christmas.
The thing is, that it's not really the day, Christmas, that I get all excited about. I don't really care about presents (half the time I wish people wouldn't give me anything at all), or all the sweets that are around to tempt you, or the crazy shoppers. I just really love the spirit of the season. The excitement, the forebearance everyone shows, the kindness and love that becomes more normal and obvious. I love all those feelings that just sort of hang on the air like the smell of cinnamon rolls and wasil. That's what gets me all excited when the weather turns cold. That's what makes me get excited for Christmas when I see Halloween candy out. That's why I think starting Christmas early can only enhance Thanksgiving by creating more open and thankful hearts. That is why I'm going to go turn on the Glee Christmas album and carol my little heart out...and be blissful for the next three months instead of only three weeks...and eat turkey with my family with gusto...and cut out snowflakes and be glad to be alive...and only wish that Thanksgiving were in August instead of November. August needs a holiday, and then we could start Christmas in September.
Thursday, September 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I agree. I can't get into halloween and fall decorations either. However what i don't get is the word "crap" in the same sentence as the mention of the savior's birth! Come on word girl! Think of a higher class word! :)
Hahaha! I love your argument at the end there for moving Thanksgiving to August. THAT is awesome.
Post a Comment